So you have invested in some acreage in the countryside because you are interested in farming. Where do you start, particularly if your property looks abandoned? What is the next step, you ponder, as you sigh looking at the overgrown grass.
Compact tractors come in handy here, but with the market inundated with both established and new manufacturers, you need to be armed with the right information. A tractor, like a family car, is a huge investment on your farm, probably the most expensive, and caution is called for lest you end up burning your fingers.
Pertinent Factors to Consider when Buying a Tractor
Now that you have decided to take the plunge and make the best use of your farm, here is a guide on getting the right tractor:
- Evaluate your needs: The uses you are to put the tractor through are unique and your purchase must be guided by the same. Consider whether you want a garden tractor or a workhorse on the farm that can work on hilly areas without exhaustion. The size, wheel drive and horse power of the tractor will be determined by these uses.
- Size and power: You need to get insight on different sizes of compact tractors in the market. They range below 20 hp and 30 hp, and above 40 hp and 50hp, and the rating continues to about 70 hp. These are small tractors that deliver a lot of power in any project you have from lawn mowing to digging.
- Features and configurations: Your tractor needs to be functional, but also convenient to use. Some of the features to check include power take off (PTO), hydrostatic transmissions, wheel drive selection, limited differential and power steering. These are some of the features that enhance your experience behind the wheel and remove the stress off farm work.
- Ease of driving: Transmission type determines how easy it is to operate your tractor. If you are a novice in farm work, make sure you choose a hydrostatic drive, but for an old hand manual, transmission will do.
- Tractor functionality: If you intend to attach implements, make sure to check the three-point linkage for you to easily attach implements such as front-end buckets, augers and mowers. External hydraulics also make your tractor a delight to work with because with the pull of a lever, you can operate machinery without getting out of your seat. Folding ROPS also help you work under trees without any inconvenience.
- Dealer service: Make sure you evaluate your suppliers before ordering for any machinery. This dealer must be an established force in the industry with the capability to ship in any parts you might need to maintain your tractor. Moreover, the supplier must have links with the manufacturer to help you enjoy free service and better pricing. Look for an experienced hand in the industry to be guaranteed of a quality farm tractor.
Furthermore, you need to look at different compact tractor brands in the market. Traditional players are now giving way to innovative, affordable but high quality machines from other countries.
Such manufacturers include Foton, which has an impressive range of tractors ranging from 28 HP (25 series) Compact Tractor, 45 HP (40 series) Compact Tractor and 55 HP (50 series) Compact Tractor. Now that you have a guide to follow start your search online, and you will be on the way to fulfilling your dreams on your acreage. One place to start if you are in the UK or France is to visit www.fotontractors.co.uk who are the Foton main distributor.